Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Pokemon Theme

In line with my enduring obsession with pokemon... and in view of the new HeartGold and SoulSilver versions released this week, PMP takes a look at what makes the original (season 1) Pokemon theme SO WONDERFUL.

1. It's catchy

2. The lyrics follow a simple aabb rhyming style and are therefore easy to singalong to!

3. They mean something.

I know nothing of meter and what have you so I can't comment in depth on the music, but I can say that the lyrics contribute a whole lot to the song. Only so much of an instrumental can be remembered by a child. Giving him or her something to sing along to, and to watch whilst singing along to, is a surefire way of embedding that song in his or her mind.

Because come on, how many of us didn't know the Pokerap? I know I could rap it by heart.

Unfortunately most who grew up with pokemon on TV didn't know the rest of the song since only the chorus and first verse were shown in the opening sequence. But that's ok. The rest of the song is pretty repetitive. Still catchy though.

I can't embed it, but do go and relive your Saturday mornings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbhbLrSQKyY

1 comment: